Summertime to me means bbq and if there is something that goes better with it than spicy baked beans I haven’t found it yet. Anyone can jump onto a site like Pinterest and find hundreds of recipes and I’d bet that most of them are excellent.
However, I like my baked beans to have a bit more of a bite to them. Some medium salsa and spicy brown mustard adds just the right amount of kick to the beans to compliment any bbq that you might be serving.
Sweet and spicy baked beans with bacon
- 2 (16-oz) cans Pork and beans
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup medium salsa
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (Heinz Memphis style is recommended).
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 8 slices bacon, cut into pieces and cooked
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
Fry bacon and set aside. Crumble into small pieces.
Put pork and beans, barbecue sauce, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salsa, brown sugar, onion and spices in a medium sauce pan and simmer mixture for 10 to 15 minutes.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan.
Sprinkle the chopped up bacon over the top. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 40-45 minutes.